What kind of public conversation is necessary to restore faith in our collective possibilities, repair the trust that binds Americans together, and build the civic competence necessary to meet the challenges ahead?
At the State of American Democracy conference in 2017, prominent writers, scholars, educators, and public officials addressed the historic and institutional origins of our situation. With the publication of Democracy Unchained, we focus on strengthening democratic institutions and the "habits of heart" that undergird a robust democratic civic culture. Join the conversation at one of our events addressing democratic renewal.
For Philanthropy to Achieve Its Goals, Democracy Must Work
Voter Suppression in 2020
We Have Something to Say. We Should Say it.
COVID Watchdogs Trump Can’t Fire
- Jacob Hacker on his new book and the transformation of the GOP
July 27, 2020
- Bill Becker "In Search of the Perfect Election"
July 22, 2020
- Jacob Hacker and Paul Pierson release a new book, "Let Them Eat Tweets: How the Right Rules in an Age of Extreme Inequality"
July 7, 2020
- Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II at the National Cathedral in Washington, DC
June 14, 2020
- Ganesh Sitaraman Gets a 2020 Lab for His Ideas
February 15, 2020
- Bakari Kitwana on The Rap Sessions Hiphop and Presidential Elections Archive (video from the Hutchins Center)
February 5, 2020
Join us at an upcoming conversation
Postponed: The Spirit of Democracy
to be rescheduled for this fall
April 14, 2020
To be rescheduled: Democracy & Technology
San Francisco, CA
June 8-9, 2020
Postponed: Climate Change, Urban Design & Democracy